Submitted: 03-31-2013 by bsfrank
My polyethylene Avocet and I have learned together, and I have often thanked the boat for teaching me another lesson on the waters of Lake Michigan. She has been easy to handle in waters of all severities, and even my kids have handled waves of 5-6 feet. Edging is predictable and even extreme. Early on, I could get the edge of my skirt in the water and turn on a dime.

I chose her on the recommendation of a kayak guide I respect, and on the fact that the internet is filled with reviews where instructors say that this is the boat they use when they want their moves to look crisp and impressive.

My only complaint (hence, the 9 rating) is about the skeg. The cable kinked early on because the design (no way to sugarcoat this) stinks. A repair has been difficult to effect mainly because the screw which secures the cable in the knob has fused to its socket (apparently a galvanic reaction due to a bad matching of metals). Otherwise, she is solidly constructed and has survived me dropping her from the car roof to pavement (more than once; yes, I apologized).

She is a joy to paddle, and I cannot imagine another boat could have been better at getting me "out there." And, now, with a lot more experience, she's still consistently fun.