Submitted: 03-31-2013 by elkhermes
Let me first state that I've used this boat for a lot more that its designed for. I've taken it on several multi day self support kayaking camping trips, open ocean paddling, class 2 whitewater, kayak races in Big Bear and Havasu, and have even surfed it several times. I have put over 500 miles on this boat in just 13 months, and I live in the middle of the desert.

Cons: The boat paddles like a barge, has got a wide cockpit that will most likely dump you out if you capsize in it or try to roll it. This is a boat to learn in and grow out of it quickly. It weather cocks like crazy and forget about edging in it.

Pros: I may bash its performance because it is a recreational kayak, but at the same time this boat acts like trusted old war horse. Probably because of its 400 lb load capacity its stability is excellent. I've abused the heck out of it, rescued swimmers, rode 4 ft swells in a 40mph headwind, and even used it successfully in a game of battleship against a team of scuba divers.

If you're after a good performing touring yak, get a Necky. If you're a paddler on a budget, a lot of creativity, and just want to get out on the water for some light touring, this boat will work great.