Submitted: 03-29-2013 by gmuller
I recently purchased a demo X16 at Bill Jackson's in Pinellas Park, FL. The folks there were very helpful. So far I used it on the twisting Weeki Wachee River as well as on a trip in the Gulf to Shell Island in the Crystal River estuary. This was against a flowing tide in a strong offshore wind. The X16 performed very well in both conditions.

Generally I do not like rudders but the SmarTrack rudder was easy to use and is the only rudder I would want. The hatches are huge and the covers are a dream to open and close. The day hatch with its hinged cover is easy to open and close while on the water. The shock cords in front of the cockpit are closer together then on my other kayak, so that I cannot use my regular deck bag but I use a North Water turtle bag which is just large enough for my electronic stuff. For larger items that I want at hand, I have installed 2 other bags inside the cockpit.

The X16 is the kayak I would consider for a multi-day trip involving big water. It is a fast, maneuverable, sea worthy, high volume kayak. I only wish my garage could fit the X18. Perhaps if I were to remove a wall...

Harken Hoister: