Submitted: 03-22-2013 by petemoss

I've had this kayak for a bit over a year. I have taken it on numerous day trips and one overnight trip, all on flat water or fairly slow moving rivers. I purchased this kayak because it was a little longer than the standard recreational kayak, plus it had two bulkheads separating the compartments. I wanted what I anticipated to be slightly better speed and tracking of the longer boat, coupled with a bit better safety and compartmentalization of two bulkheads.

When I first started using this kayak I had a really difficult time with its tracking. It seemed to wander all over the place. I have gotten much better with it over time and now feel that most of those issues were due to me as much as to the kayak.

Aside from two problems (described below), I have really enjoyed this boat. Like all plastic boats, it is very durable. It can hold a pretty good bit of gear. The seat is very comfortable and quite adjustable.

Now I should point out the negatives. First is a minor issue. The rear bulkhead leaked. When a lot of water would get into the cockpit, it would flow under the rear bulkhead and wet the contents of the rear compartment. I had to reseal it myself to take care of this. The second problem was much more of an ordeal. The seat has a back which is adjustable and which is able to pivot forward and backward for adjustability and storage. It pivots on what I would call a knuckle joint, which is held in place underneath by a strip of plastic that is riveted in place. On mine, this strip of plastic would easily bend out of the way in use, allowing the seat post to fall though to the bottom of the kayak. This would both shorten the seat and pin it in place where it could not pivot. The only way to get I back into position was to remove the seat entirely and force it back into place. I tried to talk to Perception's warranty department. They were unwilling to help me directly but insisted that I take the boat back to Dick's. Even getting the boat from Dick's originally was a weeks long ordeal, so I was unwilling to do that. In the end I replaced the strip of plastic with a half inch think piece of aluminum bar stock. I have not had a problem since.