You are responding to the following review:
Submitted: 03-22-2013 by Will
I purchased two 7803 Harken Hoister Systems from Discount Marine Source via eBay. The prices (including a combined postage rate) were very competitive and the firm's service was superb. The items were sent almost immediately and arrived at my doorstep in Australia in less than a week.
The Harken Hoister System is an incredible block & tackle system specifically designed to hoist heavy canoes or kayaks and other items. Everything is included in the kit except for the cross beams should you need them (see online instructions). If you decided to make your own, I doubt whether you could buy all the parts at a cheaper cost (let alone find similar or more functional items).
After carefully studying the instructions, it took less than 1hr 30 mins to have the first system running perfectly for my Hobie Revolution kayak. Here are a few hints that I would like share to help make the job a little easier:
With this experience, setting up the second system for my canoe took less than 1 hr. The system works perfectly and is easily rated 10/10
- Make sure that the length of the block & tackle system side is equal to or longer than the height you wish to raise the craft;
- Having initially threaded all the black drop ropes through the organiser pulleys and their respective individual pulleys make sure you extend the block & tackle system to its fullest extent by pulling all the drop ropes at once and loosening the cam operated hoisting rope;
- Adjust the length of the webbing straps to suit your craft before you attach them to the black drop ropes;
- Slip a small piece of foam lagging over the webbing to cover the buckle if it is likely to come in contact with the craft – this could be done later on if you wish;
- Mark (a white-out correction pen is good for this) each black drop rope where you wish to attach the webbing so that all sides are equidistant – remember to apply downward pressure on each drop rope when measuring and marking; and
- The figure-eight knot is easy to tie and adjust (for climbers anyway) and having the white marking (see 5 above) enables you to get a perfect set-up first time – no fiddling around!
* All you need to do is submit the form above and an email message will be sent to the owner of the ad you are enquiring about.