Submitted: 03-15-2013 by RiverWanderer

I can't say how accurate this is on the new production models of the Malecite. We got ours in 1985 and have paddled it through the Boundary Waters many times, the lakes and rivers of the Adirondacks, the Snake River near the Tetons, through Florida mangroves, and countless other places, including the calm waters of lakes and rivers near home in Michigan. Whenever we've had to rent canoes (in Alaska, the Yukon, and Hawaii), they all pale in comparison to our own Malecite. Maybe that's because this is what we're used to, but that in itself is a good reason.

It's fiberglass, and I've patched up the gel coat many times, but some of the scratches are left on there as testimonials to the places they were earned. It will do gentle rapids well; it's fast on the flatwater, and for two of us out for a day, a weekend, or even a week, it's been a joy to paddle.

If I ever get another canoe, it will most likely be the same canoe in kevlar, just to save some weight.