Submitted: 03-12-2013 by HAL

I am into my first trip with my Rack n Roll so these are initial impressions. I also have some experience with a friend's unit.

1. It pulls like a dream. You don't know it's there and it is modest on fuel impact. I went down from about 2 mpg (23 to 21) on a large sedan comparing a clean car (no boats) to the trailer with 2 light 12 ft boats at 70-75mph over 900 miles.
2. It very well built. Strong and light weight. Aluminum construction so it should not rust. 3. Assembly went easily, parts were well machined and fit smoothly - with 2 glitches:
- The wiring in the tongue was faulty (pinched stripped wires making 2 different intermittent faults. This was a pain to find because it was intermittent.
- I did have to enlarge the holes improve the countersinking on the license plate light bracket.
- The kit was missing some of the lock cores. I actually don't use the locks so it didn't matter much.
4. The trailer stores very nicely. I can up-end it and store it in my rather high garage without even unplugging the wiring. Even if you have to remove or collapse the tongue there are plugs so it is pretty easy. A small woman should not have trouble upending the trailer.
5. You can manhandle the trailer around easily rather than doing clever maneuvering with the car. To get the trailer with boats on it in the garage just unhook and walk it in fully loaded. No big muscles required. Parallel parking and the rear is sticking out? Just grab the rear bar, pick up the back end and scootch the loaded trailer over a foot.
6. The trailer is a dream to load. Everything is at a very comfortable height due to the big motorcycle wheels and suspension. So the boat is right at a perfect working, lifting, strapping, and putting height.
7. OK I do wish the bars were a bit further apart for boats.
8. You can easily see over the trailer from a car. On my van the trailer is below my sight line out the rear window one of those $10 plastic wide angle lenses you stick on your rear window is nice.
9. 16ft and over boat owners be aware at both ends. To the front note the review that talks about centering the boat. To the rear note that most states require flags by day and lights at night for loads more that 4' beyond the end of the trailer.

I have the 78" which is nice for lots of boats but if you are using a small car go for the 66. Note that the slightly heavier shocks are NOT standard on the wider trailer. The literature is a bit vague on that point.

Why does it rate an 8?
1. I should not have electrical problems, missing lock cores, and re-drilling a minor part on a $2000+ trailer.
2. I do wish the front bar was further forward.