Submitted: 03-11-2013 by JCR

I've had my 580 now for almost a year, she's my first kayak, and it's still a learning curve with getting to know what the boat does well and what it doesn't. The only bad thing I have to say is because I have the boat in the USA, getting parts for it isn't easy or cheap.

The great things about this kayak are it's speed, which at 19ft long, I'm usually the fastest guy on the water (until and Epic shows up). With the large surface area of the standard rudder, the boat has a lot of maneuverability, and because it's in a fixed position, that's less chance of a mechanical malfunction. I find the boat to be very stable for a sit inside, having taken it on open ocean in Hawaii and not getting swamped or tossed. The day hatch provides plenty of space for me to pack food, and fishing gear. The area right behind the seat is great to place a water bottle or bladder, underneath the seat is where I put my bailing bucket and sponge. I'm 5'8" and have plenty of legroom. I'm looking forward to packing it out and taking a trip to the outer banks of Virginia's eastern shore later this spring.