Submitted: 03-05-2013 by Eric Simpson

My wife and I were lucky enough to have a Sirius handed down to us. Our first major sea kayaking trip was the Maine Island Trail in October. I had very little paddling experience at this point, and paddling the Sirius, with its lower initial stability, was a bit of a baptism by fire. I found the boat required careful edging to turn, and to be somewhat of a handful in tailwinds (especially after the skeg fell off sometime in week two).

That said I loved the surfing ability and especially the glide of this boat. The miles went by effortlessly, and I felt the boat handled some less than ideal conditions quite well, especially given my inexperience. I have since moved to a larger boat that fits me better, and my wife and I have moved to Alaska but my wife still paddles and loves the Sirius, which now sports a shiny new paint job. We wouldn't trade it for anything.