Submitted: 03-05-2013 by John Enomoto

Go Bananas Watersports still sells the Ocean Kayak Kea because it is still the best children's sit-on-top kayak available. Consider it a mini Scrambler. I raised all three of my daughters in them from 5 years old to 10-11 years old when they graduated to Scramblers. Like the Scrambler series they are stackable and 3 fit together on one side of my roof racks in place of one boat. The outer edge of the hull is shaped like a surfboard so it goes over whitewater when punching out through surf, it's less prone to pitch pearling when dropping down a wave, and when rolled on to the rail it turns like a flat bottom surf kayak. The keel that runs the length of the boat makes it efficient in calmer waters (unlike the toy kayak being made for children nowadays)and tracks a very straight line. I taught my kids how to use the kneestraps right from the beginning although only one excelled at surfing. It's a narrow kayak at 20" which is why it paddles with such ease when using shorter children's kayak paddles. Even though it's weight capacity is only 130 lbs I would take it out at 215 lbs and show the kids how to eskimo roll it using the kneestraps. We have light weight ladies buy this kayak because there is nothing lighter to carry at only 31 lbs. As far as I know we are the only kayak store that brings these kayaks in from New Zealand.