Submitted: 02-24-2013 by BMT

My first real fishing yak was a Prolwer 13 and I really learned to yak fish and paddle in that craft. Fast forward about fifteen years and I have owned and fished over a dozen different yaks which all enjoy considerable popularity today. All of them did at least one thing very well and several of them did several things fairly well. None of them really met my expectations. I more recently acquired another Prolwer 13 that had been hiding in a warehouse for some years: Rigged it up and went fishing.

The original Prowler 13 is one of the very best fishing kayaks ever designed and manufactured. It does not have a sexy cockpit or lawn chair seat like some of the new fishing yaks nor does it have all the whistles and bells that come with some of the newer fishing yaks. But the ancient Prowler 13 will take it's owner through the roughest of waters and storms in complete safety and not require exhaustive paddling. It is extremely stable, reasonably brisk speed though not a touring yak, and it turns quite well even into the wind.

Having spent more money than I care to admit in search of the perfect fishing yak only to be disappointed time and again, I can say without hesitation that the original Prowler 13 is one of the best fishing yaks ever made. And you can still find them for about half of the price of the so-called new and improved fishing yaks. In addition, the Prowler 13 is much lighter than nearly all of the newly designed fishing yaks. Said another way, when I am paddling my ancient Prowler 13 I feel as if I have come home after a long and misguided journey.