Submitted: 02-19-2013 by jackl
I have probably replaced more parts and pieces on the Smart Track rudders than any person other than a outfitter. My next boat will not have them.

There are thirteen moving parts on each side. They might be fine if you don't put many miles on your boat in a year or if you just paddle in fresh water. Over the years I have had parts and pieces break on several of the boats we have. The final straw was last year when I had to replace the rails on both sides of two boats that were only one year old. One fell off in the boat while I was using it, and when I inspected the other and then two more on my wife's boat, found them to be decaying too. Evidently the salt water is not compatible with the cheap grade of aluminum and it looked like "termites" ate up the aluminum. They were completely rotted out. I have pictures that I will gladly send to anyone that would like to see them.