Submitted: 02-08-2013 by J.R.D.

I've had the Old Town Vapor 10 Kayak for about three years now. I have taken out the front Styrofoam support/ballast to free up cargo space on extended camping trips. I have taken to using a neoprene mat (double folded) and placed on the seat to address comfort issues on long paddles. I traveled over 60 miles in this kayak down the lower Colorado river last spring, and it performed amazingly well.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a high quality paddle (Carlisle 130), with plenty of clearance; get a bigger size than recommended as the Vapor is quite wide. This width allows for easy entry/exit, and overall cabin room. I stowed my bedroll (w/backpacker's mattress, guitar, four gallons of water, ice cooler w/30 pack, dry box for camera/phone/wallet/etc., and my dry bag. in this yak. It sat low, but it had no issues flooding. TIP: Keep a sponge and a bailer in case of flooding, also, the bailer can double for a urinal...if your shorts are loose enough!

The only knock on this yak is the lack of a cargo bungee on the rear; which I installed myself for cheap though.

This yak is a class I, flatwater yak. You CANNOT go wrong with this quality brand yak for the price!!

Portage Pal: