Submitted: 01-18-2013 by MCC

I have had a Scirocco since 2004 and wanted to comment on a few issues raised in the reviews below. This was my first boat when I got into kayaking. I had every intention of replacing it when I retired and moved to coastal SC - but I have not because I love this kayak.

I actually used one the first time I took a lesson and agree that it has some initial stability issues if you are new to kayaking or even new to the Scirocco. (I never let novice kayakers borrow it.) Now I hardly think of stability and I can't remember the last time I had a stability issues under normal paddling conditions. I seem to have the most stability issues when I am stopped to get water or rest and just get a bit careless, but I don't recall going over. Just a small quick scare that is quickly corrected with a bit of knee pressure. I did have one wet mis-entry shortly after I bought the boat on an awkward boat ramp - but that was my carelessness.

While a long boat - it is very responsive to leaning and turning as others have noted. I have had very small amounts of water get into hatches when I was doing a lot of rolling or wet-escape practice, but not otherwise. Since I keep anything I want dry in a dry bag - it wasn't an issue.

The only thing I would say about the boat is that it is relatively heavy and not all that easy to car-top. I now have Thule Hullavators so it is not so much of an issue but for many years I used rollers on back and a simple cradle in front. However, the boat rides well on a car - I once carried it for over a month on a trip from SC to northern MI, WI and back to SC without a problem.