Submitted: 12-18-2012 by MGB

We bought a 1997 kevlar natural Fisherman with wood gunnels in 2011. Coming from rec kayaks, we were looking for a boat to allow my wife to go out with the dogs, either with me or by herself, or accompanied by me in a kayak.

First, the weight is fabulous! with the wood rails, at 38lbs, its lighter than our kayaks. The kevlar is quite durable, taking only minor scratches so far on our sandy and sometimes rocky Florida rivers. It carries a ton of gear, and seems to like being loaded down. This year I mounted a electric trolling motor to the stern, bought a cheap used battery, and have had even more fun! Two dogs, 3 people, and towing 3 other kayaks in the holiday boat parade. What a blast!
Downsides: Does not like the wind, especially when solo. You definitely need some ballast up forward when solo. Otherwise, its pretty tippy.