Submitted: 11-20-2012 by MaryBrace

My first kayak was the 9' Zydeco. While that's a fantastic entry-level boat for new kayakers and I'd recommend it to anyone, the 11' Zydeco is best for people who want to get on flat-water a few times a year at a low investment cost - like something people would keep at a summer camp on the lake.

Initial stability is okay, secondary is better. This Zydeco tracks well as long as I'm paddling, but it veers when I stop. I enjoy the re-designed seat and the hatch. It's great on long paddles.

My biggest regret about this purchase is that the plastic is so thin, and has so much give, that I can't imagine it wouldn't fold up if I got pinned in swift-water. When I go over stumps or "butt-rocks," on a river I can feel the bottom bend and give. This is not a comfortable sensation, especially in a new boat.

I applaud Dagger for trying to make an affordable 11' boat for Zydeco fans, but if I had the choice to make again, for the same price, I'd have opted for a better-made, used, longboat.

Kayak Covers of Charleston: