Submitted: 11-12-2012 by quest

I've been paddling for 7yrs now and consider myself an intermediate paddler. I own three boats: Cetus MV, Romany standard, and a newly acquired Alaw Bach and have paddled various others. First off, construction of the alaw Bach is superb - the build quality and finish is second to none. I have a black glitter deck which compared to my custom build Cetus MV which also has a glitter deck - the alaw is far superior like they say no one out shines Mike at Rockpool kayaks.

Also the fit is spot on for me 5ft 8ins 160 kilos medium build you can adjust the seat and the footplate quite easily by sliding the bars up and down to get the perfect fit. The Alaw is a very comfortable boat one of the best I've paddled. Handling very maneuverable all though I have to say not as much as my Romany as in when I do an inside lean turn it dose not respond very well you have to do a rudder stroke as well to bring it round but I can live with that.

I have been out in 30 mph winds and 1 to 2ft waves handles great just like my Romany secondary stability is excellent and this boat surfs straight and true better than my Romany and that's saying something this boat gives you confidence which can be a good thing. Speed is good tracks well, so far I haven't found the need to use the skeg which is a keri tek hydro skeg very smooth to operate well done keri tek, no doubt I will. The Alaw does great in side-on waves; very stable rides up and under in a stable condition as good as the Romany. Aled and Mike designed the boats well.

To sum it up: an excellent touring boat, rough water boat which will appeal to beginners as well as experienced kayakers, that's hard to beat Thanks Rockpool! By the way this is the composite lay up vac bag construction nice and light well I can manage it on to the roof.