Submitted: 11-04-2012 by piscisergosum

I am 5'11" 240 lbs and I bought this boat mainly for fishing in open water windy situations. Let me say that is has surpassed my expectations. I have become confident to head out into the Gulf of Mexico, Mississippi River or open reservoirs. If it is windy or I am paddling for speed and distance I sit with the seat in the low position. If I am in the flats looking for fish I can stand easily from the chair's high position. It is possible, but not recommended, to switch positions while floating. I find it very stable and fairly fast, though not a fast as a WS Tarpon 14. I recently went 5 miles with some friends in sea going kayaks and I kept up with them fine. The stow hatches hold plenty of gear for two days of camping or even a 2 piece rod and reel. It was real nice to take the seat out and use it in the camp. The last time I was in the Everglades I broke off a rod tip in the Mangroves. I look forward to using the Rod Tip Holders next time I go.

I have heard some say that water shoots up through the scupper holes but that has not been my experience. Some water comes in but then goes right back out. I can see where a rudder would be great for boat control while drifting but it is really not needed. I recommend a 240cm high angle paddle especially with the seat in the high position. There are two buckles that hold the Center Hatch down. I recommend leaving the farthest one unbuckled on the water because its hard to reach when you need to access its contents.

What could make this boat better would be:
1) "Aim" the rod holders 90 degrees out instead of straight back. This separates the lines for trolling purposes.
2) Put some scupper holes in the rear deck. Not for drainage but so you can mount some wheels under it easily.
3) Make it lighter. At 74 lbs it's a beast to load and port
4) Add a break away stringer mount. So when you wish to keep fish on a stringer a shark, gator, or large grouper wont drag your boat under.
5) Finally add a Slide Trax mounting system. This is one place Jackson Kayak was sleeping.

Advanced Elements: