Submitted: 10-31-2012 by JuanChanKane

What best describes for me (1.93meters/85kg) this kayak is that it is good enough in calm condition, but truly shines (and I mean Christmas Tree like shine!) when things get nasty in big waters and winds. It does take good care of me as well, I just stay loose and let it do its thing in the chop: meaning it is stable enough to allow me to focus on my forward stroke, no springy surprises at all! I don't miss a rudder also, as I can maintain course or easily adjust it with a sweep. In following seas it does tend to broach a bit, but the skeg helps, and a small rudder brace here and there is required should a wave breaks on the back deck, but not a big deal as again its great secondary stability is ALWAYS there anyways. I tried the Scorpio as well (another great ride, but different in many ways) which I found even more stable primary wise, both really maneuverable but the Cetus is quicker.

Things I don't like AT ALL within this price range are 1st and foremost the loose fit in the cockpit: I really miss a nice pair of adjustable thigh braces, the key shaped rim is OK but not good enough for rolling or when you just want to lock-in and become ONE with your loved vessel. The other minor thing is that the handy front day hatch leaks a bit. The other hatches are bone dry. The seat is OK but the finish and attention to detail excels.

Handy extras I got are: Kevlar keel strip, aluminum footpegs, wire driven (fin type) skeg and a compass.

I like my Cetus HV a lot, and it has boosted my confidence a lot and I thank its hull designers for this. I've now even come to enjoy cruising in (previously) scary big waves. If God allows, My Cetus, some mini-cell thigh braces & I we'll be enjoying more big seas for years to come.