Submitted: 10-29-2012 by rivannahipsnap
This boat is quite fast for a relatively heavy, plastic boat and the double hard chine makes it stable yet maneuverable when you put it on edge. With fore and aft bulkheads and hatches, its got plenty of room for gear and cargo, too.

Like I said, on flat water is is quite fast and the flip-down/flip-up rudder is more than adequate to deal with any wind or tendency to weathercock (of which I've experienced very little.)

What I found most surprising about the boat is how well it actually handles flowing water. I've raced it on Class II+ rivers and it is quite maneuverable for a 17' foot boat because it has a surprising amount of rocker for an ocean kayak. With the rudder up, it just seems to automatically find the best line to run through rapids. It is like it has a mind of its own and just knows where to take you downriver.

The deck rigging is great for holding that gear that you want to keep close at hand and it is nice to have a rudder that you can put down or lift up while paddling by simply pulling on a rope one direction or the other.

I own and have owned many kayaks but this is one I plan to hold onto because it is just so versatile. When the water gets choppy in a large bay or in the ocean this is the boat I feel safest in because of its stability yet it still feels sleek and fast.
If you can find one in good shape buy it. You will not be disappointed.

Ocean Rodeo Sports: