Submitted: 10-03-2000 by Dave

I started out this summer by buying a Necky Zoar Sport. I wanted something a cut above a recreational kayak. The boat was very roomy for my 6'4" frame and both primary and secondary stability were great. However.....I was paddling quite a bit and quickly outgrew it. That means, I wanted to go faster. I traded it in and bought a plastic Perception Eclipse. I wanted faster and I got faster. The trade off is that it is a bit tippy, by comparison. It has not thrown me yet and I have been in some pretty rough water on Lake Tahoe. It cuts through the waves and chop very nicely. If I just stay loose in the hips, the swells and wave smashes from the side just pass on by. I am always ready with a quick brace when in that kind of water. It weathercocks like crazy when the wind and waves are up. I drop the rudder in those conditions and it tracks wonderfully well.

Edge turns amaze me! I am impressed that a 17'2" boat will turn that quickly. Next time out will be in calm water and I need to find that point where the secondary stability holds and where it dumps me. Yes, I plan to get wet. The finishing touches are very much nicer than on the Necky Zoar Sport. (The Eclipse also costs more and you do get your moneys worth.)

There are trade offs, but I wanted speed, nice finishing touches, great looks, and I got all that. I will continue to grow into this boat and look forward to many hours of paddling in various conditions to really know all it will do.