Submitted: 10-26-2012 by Marcus

I own 3 ZRE paddles:
-Black rec with the carbon grip (12oz)
-White Water (11oz)
-Power Surge Light (8.5 oz)

All are great paddles. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. My favorite is the Power Surge, for a couple reasons. First, its the lightest. I bought the WW and Rec first. I didnt think that 2.5-3.5 oz would make a difference but it does BIG time. You really notice it on the recovery and switching sides during high cadence paddling (like during a race or just paddling hard). I like the entry with the power surge blade. I cant exactly describe it but it feels just slightly different than ZRE's regular blade. I like it slightly more.

Also, I like that the Power Surge line offers a skinnier blade. I found I like a shorter/skinnier blade which the PS series offers. My shoulders get sore from hard paddling but a skinnier blade limits the amount of force that the paddle can generate. Some people talk about a small blade "slipping" in the water but I have never experienced that, and I'm a strong, athletic, guy in my mid 20's. I have an 8" wide one currently but when I order a new one in a couple years Ill go for a 7.75". Also, I recommend a skinny blade because if you need to go faster the correct way to increase your speed is to increase your cadence with shorter, less powerful strokes. Adding more power to a long stroke just wears you out faster.

The black rec and WW are great paddles too. If you just want a light paddle for a good price go with the Black Rec, carbon grip, factory second (10% off with minimal cosmetic blemishes). That will run you about $210 shipped for a 12oz paddle. Very worth it IMO.

The White water is another $50 for 1oz less. Probably not worth it for most people. Go for the black rec or shell out the big bucks for a light.

I've used one of the 3 for around 200 hours this summer and they show only minimal wear. They take quite a beating. Ive only seen one break. It was during a river race and the guy planted it HARD square on a submerged rock near shore. The shaft broke where the shaft meets the blade. But on the plus side ZRE sells the grip, shaft, or blade alone so you can fix your paddle for half the cost of new. I've heard (second hand) from other racers that you need to be careful with Ultra Light ZRE paddles, but that's the price you pay for a 7oz paddle!

I'm 6'1" and use a 48" in racing canoes (pro boats) or other really low boats. I use a 51" in my solo or in higher/rec/touring canoes like a MNII or aluminum boat. If you are unsure what length to get you can order an un-cut shaft and un-glued grip. Tape the grip on, then paddle with it. If its too long cut off an inch and repeat until it feels right. When you're happy glue in the handle with almost any epoxy. You can put your request in the "Commpents" section of your order or call ZRE directly to place your order. I talked with him (Bob?) when trying to decide which paddle to buy and he was very helpful.

To conclude, if you want to compete, ZRE paddles are THE way to go. Conversely, if you just paddle recreationally and want to spoil yourself the Black Rec is totally worth the money. After casually paddling with my ZRE then switching to a Wenonah Quetico paddle (a nice paddle in its own right) the Wenonah feels like a brick compared to the ZRE. As a Bonus you're supporting a small business here in the USA too!

Swift Canoe & Kayak: