Submitted: 10-25-2012 by Geo.M.

I have owned my V10 Sport for about seven years now. I got one of the very first (newly designed) boats off the Chinese production line, that were shipped to Hawaii.

As reported by other reviewers, the secondary stability is unmatched. As to the width of the cockpit, that's repairable. I bought a glue on type outrigger canoe seat pad, cut it in half and glued one half to each side of the upper part of the cockpit.... a perfect fit and it improved my stability ability tremendously.

I recently purchased the kick up rudder option because I paddle around the reefs out here, and after breaking of my third rudder (and holing the hull in the process) I decided to change to the kick up rudder. Be advised, the incredible stability of the stock V10S goes away with this option. I thought I was back on my old TwoGood. My first outing with the kick up rudder almost did me in - I went out onto the ocean off Kailua, on a choppy windy day and about 3/4 mile off shore lost my balance when turning back for shore. The rear mounted kick up rudder made it so I couldn't stay upright, during the remount. It completely changed the personality of my Epic. Luckily, a Cobra Tandem happened by, and with the two paddlers holding my boat steady, I was able to remount and stay upright.

I'm going to try reinstalling the stock rudder, and for fun..... I'll link it to the kick up rudder. With two rudders linked, the stability and turning efficiency should be awesome. Bottom line. I highly recommend the Epic V10 Sport.

New York Kayak Co.: