Submitted: 10-17-2012 by Fozzy

I have owned a Tahe Marine Greenland T(ouring) for 3 months now, and have used it in a variety of conditions up to about winds Force 5 and 2.5m swells. I have a heavy duty Composite Lite version, which sound like a contradiction in terms but means I have a relatively light boat, with a double thickness hull. Perfect for Atlantic swells and tide races in the Bristol Channel.

I'm 5'10 and weigh 88kgs. I have no problems fitting in the low volume Greenland. The first time I got in it I found it a little tippy, but my old boat is a lot wider. Once I got moving it soon settled down. Within 20 minutes I was happy. What really surprised me is the secondary stability. It's great. So easy to hold an edge and thanks to the hard chines it turns very smoothly and very quickly.

It's reasonably fast. The rocker and very sharp ends reduce the water line, but it's not meant to be a sprint boat. It tracks beautifully in all conditions. I tend to only use the skeg in a heavy following sea or surfing. I've never needed it to prevent weather cocking.

It's a great boat in waves. Rides up then punches through easily. In a beam sea, the V hull and hard chines mean bracing into the wave is easy. Its the easiest boat to roll I've ever paddled - even when fully loaded.

A lot of people thinks it's too low a volume for multi-day trips. I've now done two 5 days trips, with no issues at all. But coming from a mountaineering background I've spent far too much money on lightweight kit, and work on the principle "If I can't carry it I can't take it" and the boat still has way more volume than any rucksack!

The build quality and attention to detail is excellent. I find the seat and (basic) back support very comfortable. The footrests are solid and very easy to adjust. All three bulkheads and hatches are completely watertight. I never had a drop get in yet. Apart from a few very minor scratches from spare paddles on the stern deck there's hardly a mark on it. The hull is still unmarked despite a few beach landings. I've added some more bungy to the front deck and a mount for a Silva 70 compass.

Everyone who's paddled it falls in love with it - if they haven't already been wooed by it super sexy looks. This is going to be my kayak of choice for a long time!