Submitted: 09-30-2012 by SteveK
I have a Werner Skagit FG IM in 230cm that I bought in 2011 to use with my Tsunami 140 kayak. It seem like an excellent paddle, far better than most other paddles I have used on borrowed boats. The current model ferrule system is brilliant, allowing the paddler to set nearly any angle of feathering you can imagine. Unlike my pricier Nimbus Mistral paddle, the ferrule on the Skagit is easier to break down for transport. Weight is nicely light compared to aluminum shafted paddles.

In use, I find the 230cm length is great for low angle paddling and the dihedral of the blade on the Skagit makes for smooth pulling action. The perfectly round shaft is OK for gripping but I do prefer the oval cross section shaft of the Mistral.

So now I use the Skagit as my emergency spare paddle and keep it on the foredeck of my boat. I plan to get a longer 240cm Skagit for my husband to use next summer when he gets a kayak. He also likes the 230cm, but thinks it is too short for him.