Submitted: 09-26-2012 by mikeknauf
Tested a KUL (Kevlar UltraLite) Adirondack, did not buy. Here's why...

The good:
1) Fast for a 16' boat.
2) Super light, the lightest of any I tried.
3) Great secondary stability.

The bad:
1) Turning.
2) Initial Stability.

I tested this boat on a windy river with a few open straights in calm conditions. I found the boat to be quick and efficient but had trouble getting it to maneuver on tight stuff. It definitely like to be steered from the bow, but still always felt a bit drifty and not really tracking where I wanted it to. Initial stability is something I didn't like. I almost went in the drink a couple times with this boat, not because it felt twitchy or rolly, but because it has low sides and doesn't give the feeling it is going over. It all seems line until it as at the point where water is starting to come up over and you realize you are in a huge lean. I felt this way about the handling, very disconnected. I'd rather the boat tell me what it is doing, I didn't get that from this boat.

Speed and straight line tracking was great in the spurts I had. Would be a great lake boat although I question how well it would do in rough conditions because of the minimal rocker and low sides.
All in all not for me.