Submitted: 09-14-2012 by ety-b

Finished building my 5th CLC boat its the Shearwater 17. It's a fine looking boat and behaves quite nicely for a Hard chine. It's very predictable in different sea conditions and for a 6' 215 lbs guy like me it's a 'Skinny jeans' fit. saying that I must commend Eric Schade for a great cockpit design that enables me with only 30" in length to do an easy scramble; this is mainly achieved through the correct width in the front part of the cockpit but also the wide enough seat Area opening to drop my big behind in first.

In the build up, I added a 6mm marine plywood bulkhead and created a day Hatch with the Help of a Kayaksport hatch cover kit. this adds a lot of rigidity and safety to an already great design. I think it would be great if CLC could offer this simple feature in most of their Kits.

I have 2 grievances with the boat and CLC.
The 1st is regarding their claim that the boat fits a 12.5 shoe size which it doesn't... I'm a 10.5 and when I have to go a half size larger to 11 due to The dry suit socks my feet just won't fit under the Deck. it is very cramped down there and I have read this from other builders as well, still no change on the CLC website...
The second issue has to do with a rear cockpit recess which is missing thus making layback rolls much more difficult.

My last request from CLC and the designer is to consider offering a Multichine version of these great boats and maybe incorporate a day hatch and a rear cockpit recess options and an additional 1/2 inch clearance for feet room would probably make it the perfect boat for me.