Submitted: 09-14-2012 by rfpssp

Just bought this kayak yesterday and spent it and today paddling around Great Sacandaga Lake (where we keep our "big boat"). It tracks very well, especially with the skeg down and especially in a cross wind. I was all set to buy the WS Tsunami 140 but when I "tested" the Expression 15 out on the floor of the retailer I liked the fit better and the skeg was a nice added feature at a final lower price that the Tsunami.

I'm 5'10" and around 200 lbs and have absolutely no problem with this boat. I like that the deck height is not as high as the Tsunami as my paddle stroke is somewhat shallow due to shoulder injuries. The seat? Absolutely a winner. Since this boat and WS boats are made my the same company the seating systems are very similar and I like the padding and variability of the entire system. Raising the thigh supports helps me "lock in" and really "wear the boat". I paddled consistently for over 3 hours and was not sore or having any numb spots. The gear carrying capacity seems ideal for an overnight or two (or three or more) and I plan to test that out next year.

I started practicing lean turns and although I'm still a novice at it I felt very secure in the cockpit. Excellent secondary stability and a great step up from my tried and trusty Pungo (that will be racked with its new "buddy" in the garage this winter).

Great boat and great service from the retailer. No complaints about the seat height at all. If I need to self-rescue I'm going in with a paddle float on the side or bringing it in closer to the shore so I can stand up. No way is this old dude paddling in early spring/late fall waters!

Ostrom Outdoors: