Submitted: 09-13-2012 by Wanda

I purchased my Jaeger in June 2012 and wanted to wait to review it until I had the opportunity to become comfortable with the boat. After spending some time this summer paddling around Lake George, I cannot say enough about how much I love my Jaeger and about the amazing customer service experience that Walrus Kayaks provided.

I contacted the guys over at Walrus after doing some extensive internet searching for a boat that I would be an upgrade from my old Current Design boat. I wanted a boat that would be easy for me to manage on my own (5'10", 125 lb female paddler). The Jaeger comes in just around 40 pounds which makes it possible to take on and off my car without much help. I was also looking for a composite boat with a sleek design and that would be more responsive than my old boat. After looking through the options on the Walrus website, I was debating between the Griffin and the Jaeger. After talking with Mark at Walrus, he offered me the opportunity to try the Jaeger and Griffin when I was passing through the Burlington (VT) area. I have to say that this aspect of Walrus' dedication to making its customer's happy was key to helping make my decision and made me feel much more confident in my purchase. In trying out both boats, I ultimately went with the Jaeger as I found it was more comfortable for my long legs and that I did not have to compromise speed in choosing a longer boat.

The Jaeger fit all of my design criteria and is, in my opinion, one of the sleekest looking kayaks on the market. I find it very comfortable to paddle in all conditions and that it cuts through any sort of waves with ease.

I felt that the team at Walrus went above and beyond in answering all of my questions (both in person and via email). I really felt as if I was involved in the building process of my kayak. I was able to customize the gel coat color and outfittings to my preference, which made me more confident in purchasing a kayak of this price point. This was a major selling point as I now have a kayak that is a unique robinís egg blue, which, according to Walrus, is more visible on the water than international orange. It is a big plus to me that I was able to visit the shop and support a small Vermont business.

If you are looking for a great, versatile recreational kayak, then I would check out the Jaeger or the other models that Walrus Kayak's offers.

Botetourt County Tourism: