Submitted: 09-12-2012 by lackge

Over the years I acquired quite an assortment of Cascade Designs transparent dry bags, both the clear and the amber types, ranging from 5-liter to 30-liter ones. I liked them because I could see the contents without opening them, and because they sealed quite well. I used them a lot, and over time the bags began to develop cracks along the upper fold lines where the sealing strips are located, pretty much as described by the earlier reviewer. Along with the clear bags I have used an assortment of Seal Line Baja dry bags, which are also made by Cascade Designs and are apparently fabricated from a different type of plastic; I have never had any problems with the Baja bags. I contacted a customer service representative who seemed genuinely interested in having me return the clear bags so their technical people could examine them. So, I sent back nine of the clear bags. Within a couple of weeks Cascade Designs replaced all nine clear bags with Baja bags. Talk about a company standing behind its products! I was impressed.

I cannot say that the transparent bags were defective, but the Baja bags are more durable, in my experience. I would give the clear bags an 8, but Cascade Design's customer service merits a solid 10, so let's average the two and give them a ranking of 9 overall.