Submitted: 09-07-2012 by BigT

I bought a XL15 tandem set up with the web seats. It is the first canoe I have dumped on accident ever. Flat water, turning and broadside with a 25 mph wind, hit sideways by a wave, with an inexperienced paddler in the front, and my 7 year old in the middle. It was cold! I lowered the seats with the lowering kits. That helped.

I took it on a 2 day overnight camping trip. The canoe is pretty roomy, and has good floatation. I weigh 350lb. My front paddler was about 200, with enough gear for an overnight camp. We did not tip, but had a few close calls. It turns quick, and is pretty responsive for the size. The initial stability is less than you will be used to if coming from flat bottomed recreational boats. I took it out with 5 little passengers in the middle and front, and spent hours and hours tipping it over on purpose and dumping it out. Had a ton of fun with my little nieces and nephews. Funny enough, when trying to tip it over the secondary stability makes it harder than you think it will be!

Even with shipping, it was a darned good value, outfitted how I wanted. Wide seats, extra hanging seat for the middle, means I can fool around with the wife up front and 2 little boys in the middle.