Submitted: 08-30-2012 by Ski-Patroller

This was our first good canoe, after a 17' Smoker Craft. I bought it in 1975, and it is still going strong. The 17 shoe keel boat, with 7 ribs, was the original white water canoe. It turned reasonably quickly and could take a lot of abuse. By today's standards, it is not much of a WW boat, and it doesn't paddle as nicely on lakes as other 17ft boats, but it requires almost zero maintenance and we aren't afraid to let our friends borrow it. They really can't hurt it, as long as they don't wrap it around a rock.

It is a far more capable canoe than a Coleman. It really does paddle pretty well and is quite stable, probably a little too much. My biggest complaint is that it is cold and noisy. The seats are too low for comfortable kneeling, and it is not as easy to modify them as in my Old Town Appalachian or Navarro canoe.

The most amazing thing about this canoe is the sail rig. I have the sliding gunter rig which is 75 sq.ft. That is a lot of sail on a canoe. It is the same sail area as a Laser, although it is a lot lower aspect rig. In a good wind, it will plane, and it is very exciting to sail, sitting on the gunnel, with your feet under a thwart, hiked out to weather like a Laser sailor. While it is not quite as fast as a Laser, it is no slouch, and it great fun to sail. The sail rig was well thought out and very functional. It is not very sophisticated, but everything on it works well. As a point of comparison, it is a far better sail boat than a Klepper Arius with a main and jib rig.

Aqua-Bound: