Submitted: 08-28-2012 by kayakjak
I've had this boat for a couple of years now, but after last week, I now feel inspired to write. What was it about last week's paddle? It was in a large bay in NJ (Barnegat Bay, specifically Edwin B. Forsythe Wildlife Management Area). We went early because forecasts called for calm conditions, but the water wound up being bouncy and confused. It took me a bit of time to gain confidence, but the Tampico handled great (just keep those hips loose). No problems keeping up with the leader in his 2.5 foot longer, 1.5 inch narrower boat. I'm finally getting the hang of edging, which definitely helps with the turning.
And of course, thermoform is famously lightweight. And beautiful.

One thing I'd like to see in the L is thighbraces (the S has them, along with a backband instead of a more comfort oriented seat of the L. No complaints there; I like the seat). I added some paddling which were generously sent to me by Hurricane, along with some bungees because mine snapped when someone trip to pull me from an obstruction. Also, the common complaint that the material feels somewhat flexy is true, but I have no idea if this affects paddling performance.

All I can say is that I'm happy with this boat, and can't wait to take it out in similar conditions.