Submitted: 08-28-2012 by Donald C. McHenry

This is my initial review of the Looksha 14 (poly version); I will do a follow up later. First the boat handles very well. It tracks great even without the rudder, turns easily and does carved turns very nicely. The seat is the most comfortable in any kayak I have owned. The thigh braces work well for me.

I bought the Looksha to gain some leg and foot room. I am 6' 3.5" tall, 175 lbs and wear a size 12 shoe. I picked up enough leg and foot room to be comfortable. I do have to have the footpegs in the all-the-way-forward position. However, if you are taller than me and have a larger shoe size, you may need to go to a longer boat. The forward hatch bulkhead limits the leg and foot room.

At 59 lbs the Looksha is fairly heavy for a 14ft boat so it is harder to get it on and off our truck and into the water. Hope I will get use to this. Our other kayaks are a Necky Manitou Sport and a Manitou 13. These boats weigh in at 45 lbs. I think the extra room in the Looksha and the ability to brace properly in the boat will offset the extra weight over time. All of my experiences with Necky kayaks have been good. That is why I keep coming back to them.