Submitted: 09-26-2000 by Bob

This is a great boat for paddling around Humboldt Bay, California. My wife gave me a (used) Scout for my 40th birthday, and it's probably the best gift I've ever received. I paddled canoes quite a bit as a boy, back east, and a year or so ago, took a lesson on Humboldt Bay. So I was really happy when she surprised me with the boat. I'm impressed with the quality of the Scout. It seems really well made, looks good, and yet is fairly light at 60 pounds. I understand that it's recycled plastic, but it doesn't look cheap or cheesy in the least. It looks like a perfect use for the materials from which it is made. It handles well in the wind and choppy water that's common on the Bay. Even going against the wind and tide, it's easy to make prompt headway in this kayak. The cockpit is large, which means that a spray skirt is a necessity (maybe I need a longer paddle for this wide boat), at least in cool weather and water. But with a skirt, it feels really safe, and it's stable, and fast. I wouldn't take this boat past the jetties (it's not a Sea Kayak per se), but for general paddling, it's a wonderful boat and I look forward to each brief trip. If I ever replace this boat, I'd look at the other Walden products first, because this seems a well designed and "value priced" craft. For a beginner, and relatively sheltered coastal paddling, it's a perfect fit.