Submitted: 09-25-2000 by Russ Adams

End of August 2000: Demo'd a Loon 138T and a Pamlico (NOT the Excel). In the Inter Coastal Water Way, Wilmington, North Carolina. Conditions were a swift current and a brisk headwind. The Pamlico moved VERY quickly against current and wind! Very comfortable seats. With 2 guys at 165 and 180, the Pamlico handled quickly and nimbly. When I took it out solo, it outperformed the Loon quite easily. The Pamlico put broadside against the wind and current was very easy to solo change direction into the current and wind. I'm 45, 165lbs, and in ok shape. I was able to paddle against both the wind and current with moderate difficulty, and it tracked well. The Loon 138T in the same conditions was a chore to turn into the wind, and I almost couldn't paddle it against the current and wind, and it didn't want to track. Between the two, I'd pick the Pamlico hands down. Don't get me wrong: I actually like both yaks. I demo'd the Loon first, and my initial impressions were very favorable. Until I solo'd it into the current and wind and almost couldn't make headway. Then I tried the Pamlico: more responsive, faster, still stable, more comfortable seats. I'm a beginner BTW. So try 'em yourself and see!