Submitted: 08-23-2012 by BigD

My boat has the name "Pursuit 80X" on it, but is the same as the Break from what I can tell. I am 6'2" and 235lb. I fit. Flat water has the boat's waterline at about an inch below seam in the highest place. Now this boat carries a 200lb rating, but I find that its not bad with my weight. No tippier than my 10' Old Town Otter, although not quite as fast, and does not track quite as well.

Bought the Pursuit recently at Academy for 150+tax, and find that, for a boat used for fitness, it fits the bill nicely. Please do not expect to track like a Carolina 14, or have the speed either. I estimate that flatwater speed on the Pursuit is around 5-7mph without pushing too hard.

It tracks quite well for such a short, light boat (8 feet long, 26lb), and much better than a cheap inflatable, which is how I began kayaking. A shorter paddle helps me to remember to make more vertical strokes, to keep from wagging the vessel side to side.

Pros: very light! cheap, easy to carry and store in hotel rooms on trips. This boat will be along with you on a trip, in the water, while the big 14' 54lb wonder-yak collects dust.

Cons: a bit of a let-down if you are coming from one of those high performance longer boats; does wag a bit side to side; not for choppy waters (as mine would sink with all my weight in it plus a few inches of water).

Overall a great boat for cost, transport and basic, 2-hour flatwater usages. Highly recommend for these purposes. Full disclosure: I am a bit of a minimalist... for those who are not: go spend 6x the money on a boat twice as heavy and twice as long, with umpteen options and accessories; you do the math:)