Submitted: 08-22-2012 by Steve

After a couple of weeks of online research I bought the Sunny. I am extremely impressed with the ease of setup and handling of this boat. It takes at most 10 minutes to set up. I use a LVM 12 volt inflator and a boat people top off pump. The only hassle is inflating the seats as neither the LVM or the top off pump fit the valves on the seats. I have to use a third foot pump in conjunction with some self made vinyl hoses (used to connect the pump nozzle to the valve) in order to inflate the seats. As others have said, inflate the seats first, put them in the boat and then inflate the side tubes. I inflate the floors last after putting the tracking fin in. If you forget the tracking fin you will notice it right away as the boat turns left and right with each paddle. The nice thing is that you can simply let some air out of the floor, lift the boat up and put the tracking fin in.

When inflated to specs, the boat is fast and tracks very straight. I paddled it in 15-20 MPH winds and the boat had no trouble going up wind. To me, it seems to track and go as fast as other rigid sit on tops that I've paddled. I have no problems averaging 3.5 MPH in this kayak. Just for fun, I tested it on a dead sprint and it made 5.6 MPH top speed on my Garmin GPS. These tests were performed with one paddler. It also continues to "coast" for quite a bit when you stop paddling. Very efficient hull.

The nice thing about this boat is that it is fairly light. I can easily pick it up (fully inflated) with one hand and carry stuff in my other hand on the way to the launch. No need for multiple trips when its time to go.

The boat comes with a nice dry bag back pack. The bag is a tight fit so if you are planning to put the boat back in the bag you will have to pay close attention to folding the boat just right. I needed a second person to help get the boat back in the bag after folding it up. Personally, I would only use the dry bag backpack to pack the boat into some remote location. Otherwise, the boat will likely go into a tub when done. One other note, if you are paddling in windy conditions, be sure to connect a line between you and the boat if you are going to go into the water. Otherwise you may find yourself stranded when the boat blows downwind faster than even Michael Phelps can swim.

This was a fantastic purchase. We plan to take it with us on trips to estuaries, local lakes as well as Hawaii and wherever else there are paddling opportunities. It will be in my family for a long time to come.

Talic: