Submitted: 08-15-2012 by h20_yeah

My 7th kayak and I actually believe this will be my last. My criteria for selection:
  1. Has to fit my frame (5'4, 125lbs). This could use a tad of foam to be perfect but otherwise it's darn near perfect.
  2. Has to be light for solo transporting. This leaves out all the other kayaks that are 50lbs plus including other Valleys, NDKs, P&Hs and the sexy Tideraces. Mine is carbon kevlar so it's around 40lbs (insert sheepish grin here)
  3. Has to be quality made (It's by Valley - need I say more?)
  4. Must be fast enough to keep up with others (I use a greenland paddle and easily keep - sometimes having to slow down - although I do paddle with a quick cadence).
  5. Must be nimble. This is the first kayak I've been able to roll effortlessly and comes up every single time. Carves and edges without a second thought.
  6. Skeg only. Hate rudders.
Those are must haves. Nice to haves are easy to operate hatches, room enough for weekend trips, cool color (i've been stuck with some unflattering teals and pinks and baby blues). Mine is red deck, white hull, black trim. When I'm not paddling, I find myself looking at it like a lovesick teenager looking at her first crush.

Fortunately the Avocet LV has all my nice to haves and then some. This is a rare kayak and if you ever see one come up for sale, grab it because you'll not see it again for a very long time. I drove across two states to pick mine up...

Sorry to all you "average" sized paddlers. This one is for the little peeps :)