Submitted: 08-13-2012 by remintn
I recently paddled a Prospector on a 50-mile trip with our Boy Scout troop. The canoes were rented from Scott canoes. My son and I had a kevlar with aluminum trim. My son is a decent kayak paddler, but still a novice in a canoe. Needless to say I used a lot of J strokes to correct the canoe. I was also quiet surprised by all the scratches on the hull from touching the rocks. If any of you know, every island in Biscotasing and Ramsey lake in Ontario is made up of a large rock, so you cant avoid them.

I am used to paddling my Grumman and Tracker canoes. The big keel on these canoes will make you track so straight. I didn't even notice how my kid was such a novice. And a little rub on a rock is hardly noticeable.

The Scott was so light on the portage, but the tracking and scratches were the downfall for me. Maybe I shouldn't even post this, I believe its probably unfair to only give it an 8, I'm sure its a 10 out of 10 canoe to people who use this type of canoe on a regular basis. It's just that I'm used to aluminum.
To me a canoe is like my pickup, Tuff and not too fast. This Prospector is more like a Camaro. Light,Fast,Good looking, and not for a pick-up-man.