Submitted: 08-08-2012 by Bsteg

This is a nice rack. It's well made, strong, and goes well with my truck. The only reason it's 9 instead of a 10 is because the lack of accessories available for it. I had to adapt some Malone saddles to the channel in the trac rac using carriage bolts and wing nuts. This works ok, but I'd like to use some J-racks and I can't figure out how to adapt them w/o looking all ghetto.

I have this on a 2008 Dodge ram and my tandem kayak fits good, both upright and flipped over on its deck. However my buddies Old Town 15' canoe hits the top of my cab b/c the canoe turns down more on the ends of it. 3" foam under the front of the canoe gives the needed clearance.

Installation was straight forward. The bolts are really hard to tighten. This is due to the fact that they are galvanized. I used a cordless drill on torque setting with an allen head bit. This made it much easier.

I bought this at a big box home improvement store for around $300 but I see they have since stopped selling them there. Online I see them for sale for upwards of $500. I would not recommend this product at this price for the main purpose of paddle boat transport. For that kinda money I'd look to the Yakima Outdoorsman, Thule Xporter, or something compatible with popular kayak transport accessories.