Submitted: 08-08-2012 by bill desmond

Just finished a 34 day, 740-mile (1200 km) trip around lake Huron (June July 2012) in my Cape Horn 15 bought many years ago. The boat has never let me down - beach camped, dragged over rocks, shelving limestone, boulders, caught out in thunderstorms (just not too bright) etc. - and I made my best run ever- over 80K in a day from 6:30 AM to my home beach, after 34 days, in 13 hours paddling that day, in big rolling swells, and 25K northwest winds.

After paddling this boat for 10 years, i can't imagine not having her- though its finally time for a new skirt and some new neoprene hatch covers.

I'm a 65 year old retired Emergency Responder, and the Cape Horn 15 is stable, with lots of room for extended trips, and though heavy, I can still put it up on the car- if you can pick up one of these -by all means do so esp. if this is your first touring kayak. get the rudder. Last year I did the whole of georgian bay with her, about 600K, and the year before that, circumnavigated Manitoulin Island, the worlds largest freshwater island- as well as the North Shore, and the year before that did a 700 K trip to near the end of Lake Erie from my home on Lake Huron. This kayak can do the long trips, - I've never used the little day hatch and just sealed it up. Had a minor problem with a leak from the cockpit into the back hatch- easily fixed. Never had to replace any lines or rigging, though i keep it in the garage when not in use, and not out in the sun.
Well done WS.