Submitted: 08-06-2012 by RB

I recently bought a Sun flight kayak from ebay. I would say its a crossover tourer/ surf and even whitewater kayak. It's a Canadian make and I understand the firm was taken over by Riot kayaks. It is very similar to the Riot stealth in design. The one I have is 12.5 foot long with a detachable skeg. It is made from Xytec which is makes it very strong and lightweight.

The Sun Flight is a remarkably convenient kayak designed with the lighter paddler in mind. I am 5ft 10, 13 stone and it is really too small for me. My size 10 feet are squashed unless I turn them at an angle and reach the last peg on the adjustable footrests.However,if I sit in it like a whitewater kayak it is great fun to paddle and fast. Easy to roll and edge!

First impression & handling: This odd-looking shallow arch hull (referred to by some as a "hybrid" or "crossover" style) pushes you upward, and causes you to sit somewhat high. It feels tippy at first. It moves through the water fast. I took it about 4 miles along Morecambe Bay and was surprised by the speed I could gain quite easily. Its unique chanelled hull shape ensures straight tracking regardless of wind or waves in a wide variety of conditions.Therefore, I took the detachable skeg of it.

Overall, the Sun flight is a kayak suitable for novice that provides room for skill improvement. Its light weight and short length allow for easy transportation.