Submitted: 09-21-2000 by JMG

A VERY fast, stable, lightweight, STRONG tracking and drop-dead gorgeous wood/fiberglass boat that's nearly as much fun to build as it is to paddle. Cruising seems nearly effortless, and hard paddling leaves all but the highest-end kevlar boats in its wake. Still, turns without a rudder require a solid, confident lean, although this should not be a problem for experienced paddlers. So I would not call it a beginner's boat (the Coho and Artic Tern turn far more easily and are somewhat more stable). I originally planned to build a Coho this winter for my wife, but we both love the Osprey HP so much that we're ordering another one. The instruction manual could use some more illustrations. Otherwise, the staff was extremely friendly, approachable and helpful. My experiences with the company, the kit and the boat simply couldn't be better.