Submitted: 08-05-2012 by Coggs_53711

I bought mine at the factory [so to speak] when it was just south of Janesville, in 2000. It replaced my Easy Rider "Eskimo 17" lost in a house fire in '96. The Eskimo is a GREAT kayak, but I'd bought it in '82 when they were affordable and by 2000 I couldn't afford one. So I bought the QCC 500 in Kevlar and carbon fiber which was a LOT less expensive [still is!].

What did I give up in the process? Only three things: The GORGEOUS looks of the Eskimo, and its LONG cockpit, great for getting one's knees up [essential for preventing / relieving back strain, I have found]. The guys at QCC thought the 500's cockpit would be adequate for that, but as delivered it was not, so they took out the old seat-and-backrest and replaced it with a different kind, which helped -- a little. Also, the rudder pedal system in the Eskimo is far and away the best in the business, but the patent must still be in force else it'd be copied far and wide by now....

What did I gain? -- A MUCH more efficient hull! I couldn't believe the sheer SPEED of the 500! So, of course, longer trips for the same effort or, with more effort, shorter arrival times! As for the looks: Well, the 500 is nevertheless quite a beautiful boat, but of course the stunning looks of the Eskimo are paid for by those useless bow-and-stern overhangs, the ABSENCE of which is why at the same overall length the 500 has a MUCH longer waterline length...and thus its OBVIOUSLY greater efficiency and speed! BRAVO, guys!!! And also, congrats on finally picking up and moving to the Wisconsin northwoods!!!