Submitted: 08-05-2012 by Steven Gysler

I bought my Greenland II new in 1994. 18 years later I'm still using it frequently. Mine has polycarbonate cross-frames unlike the metal frames they have now, so I can't comment on what a new Greenland II is like.

I've never had any problems with my boat except when it was new, it was too tight to assemble. I shaved 1/4 off the bow frame. It's still tight, but that's OK.

It doesn't have a hypalon keel like Klepper, but I've only had scrapes, not punctures. Putting it together can bust your knuckles sometimes, but little "helper" tools can be used (I bust my knuckles when joining longerons with the aluminum slider). To me, that's almost nit-picking. I give for-pay tours almost every week through Newport or Mission Bay in SoCal, so it gets good use. It's a good boat for that because of the openness and size of the cockpit. A boat with two little holes for the occupants would freak un-experienced passengers out with claustrophobia. Greenland II is the right boat for people who want a tour in comfort. It can be a butt-buster after 8 hours on a full-day tour, but what isn't after 8 hours? I also do half-day tours.