Submitted: 08-05-2012 by dvos

The kayak itself looks like a quality product. The deck cleats that are supposed to hold the deck lines & bungee cords however are crap. We ordered this Current Design Vision 140 (a kevlar hybrid with a rudder), last fall from The Complete Paddler in Toronto. We picked it up in the spring of this year. We stored it in our basement which is totally finished, until our first week of vacation July 9. We carried it upstairs intending to enjoy kayaking & I saw the deck lines all hanging loose. Then I saw why: 4 out of 13 of the plastic round deck cleats had cracked right in half & some had actually fallen completely off so there nothing to hold the lines in place. We had not even used the kayak yet. It still had the foam wrapped around the lines to the rudder. The Complete Paddler agreed to contact Current Design & replace the lines & cleats at no cost to us which they did but it still cost us a total of $64 in gas there & back which was out of pocket for us, not to mention a day out of our vacation driving there & back which we should have been able to spend kayaking, not returning it for repairs. They had it 3 wks. We finally got it back last week. We went kayaking locally for a little over an hr. maybe.

Kayak itself is stable * handles nice & appears to be a quality kayak, but when we got the kayak home & unloaded it & I was washing it off before storing it again, I noticed already one of the deck cleats has again cracked in half so NO, I will not give this kayak a good review because of their faulty cheaply designed deck cleats. What use are deck lines that you could loose your gear off or worse yet, if you tip over & have to do a self rescue, if your cleats snap off you could die from hypothermia.

I would not recommend buying one of these until they design better cleats for it.