Submitted: 08-03-2012 by frkamerling

While paddling on a lake near Camden, Maine, I saw a beautiful canoe cutting across some open water and initially thought by it's re-curved ends, it must be a wood/canvas. Luck was with me that day when the paddlers rounded the point and put into the picnic area so I could get a closer look. Surprise; it was a 17' Canadienne in dark green with all the good stuff: kevlar hull, mahogany and ash rails, 18" combed mahogany decks, brass end-caps and painter rings, sliding bow seat...wow!

Since the lines of any canoe I own are very important to me, I studied this beauty from all angles. The owner, who was naturally very proud and willing to talk gave me his understanding of the boat's brief history. He also stated it wasn't the lightest kevlar canoe around, but easy enough to handle by himself. He also said he bought his used and sees them for sale occasionally. When I got home, I read the reviews on paddling.net and started looking but for some time, none were found. Finally, one came available on paddling.net, and it was the exact same boat I had seen in Maine, but in Red. AND, it was in brand new condition! I took the advice of one reviewer on paddling.net and snapped it up. All of the superlatives are accurate and; I drilled small holes in the end-caps, I will round the outside edges of the gunwales when I refinish the wood (some time in the future, because they're still like new) and I may lower the seats a little because we tend to paddle her with no load, so with her prospector-style hull, we sit pretty high. That said, we have not had a problem with tenderness, so I may just leave them as they are.

All in all, I love this boat, so if you get the chance...