Submitted: 08-02-2012 by sumpthincookin

We all need to do maintenance on our canoes or kayaks. If you have plastic or gel coat, get yourself some 3M 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's not the cheapest stuff, but it is the best I've seen. It was designed for protecting finishes and plastics for commercial airliners and the US Air Force uses it.

It is a UV protectant that doesn't leach out the plasticizers. Since it contains no silicones and is water based, not petroleum or alcohol based, it's a safer for the environment. But most of all, it works. It will protect your Royalex hull or the gel coat on your fiberglass or Kevlar hull.

Spray/Wipe it on and you can even just leave it to dry, though I use a sponge. It will protect your investment better than any other product I know of. BMW no longer recommends Armor All because it can leach the plasticizers. 303 won't. It can be a bit difficult to find, so try a local Marine store or order on line.