Submitted: 08-02-2012 by Todd in Minnesota

Bought this canoe (Royalex) from a outfitter. Needed some bow and stern area patching which I did. Bought with the intent of using it in the BWCA. Took it out to test the water before our trip. Seemed very unstable. Initial stability was not the best and didn't really feel any secondary. This was mind you, with just myself and my son, no gear. I decided to see just how easy it was to tip it and leaned over till we went in. Did not feel any secondary stability kick in, but rather just rolled over and in.

We then decided to mimic a load and put 2 large Chevy 3/4 Ton tires with rims in. One on either side of the center thwart. Made all the difference in the world. The tires added right around 80-100 pounds of weight. Still not as stable as my old Alumacraft Explorer, but a night and day difference from loaded to unloaded.

Took it to the Boundary Waters with no problems what so ever. Even had my sons friend in the canoe and the primary bowman. Did not come close to tipping once. Handled the big waves with ease. Extremely fast in the water, tracked better than average. Even though this canoe was marketed at a racer, (don't know about that one), I personally think it is much better suited for a good pack boat.

Have since taken it out without a load, just people for fishing, and what it really comes down to is getting used to it.